Robbins supports dissolution of BPW

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Robbins supports dissolution of BPW

Post by Swamp Yankee » Nov Fri 17, 2017 11:31 am

The Marshfield Board of Public Works Vice-Chair Steve Robbins appeared before the town’s Charter Review Committee Thursday night, and shared his recommendation regarding a contentious proposal, that would dissolve the very board that he sits on.

Robbins told the committee that he supports the controversial town charter proposal, which calls for the dissolution of the Board of Public Works and which would instead place the D.P.W. under the control of a strong town manager.

Robbins also addressed, head-on, a rumor that he wants to get rid of the Board of Public Works because he’s got some sort of beef with a board member.

He said, “Absolutely not. That is one-percent incorrect. People talk. They can talk all they want. It’s not about me, it’s not about my other board members, it’s not about past board members – it’s not about future board members. It’s what’s best for the Town of Marshfield.”

agree with the proposed charter change, which would be the elimination of the Board of Public Works.

http://959watd.com/blog/2017/11/marshfi ... the-board/

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Re: Robbins supports dissolution of BPW

Post by Swamp Yankee » Nov Fri 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Swamp Yankee wrote:
Nov Fri 17, 2017 11:31 am
The Marshfield Board of Public Works Vice-Chair Steve Robbins appeared before the town’s Charter Review Committee Thursday night, and shared his recommendation regarding a contentious proposal, that would dissolve the very board that he sits on.

Robbins told the committee that he supports the controversial town charter proposal, which calls for the dissolution of the Board of Public Works and which would instead place the D.P.W. under the control of a strong town manager.

Robbins also addressed, head-on, a rumor that he wants to get rid of the Board of Public Works because he’s got some sort of beef with a board member.

He said, “Absolutely not. That is one-percent incorrect. People talk. They can talk all they want. It’s not about me, it’s not about my other board members, it’s not about past board members – it’s not about future board members. It’s what’s best for the Town of Marshfield.”

agree with the proposed charter change, which would be the elimination of the Board of Public Works.

http://959watd.com/blog/2017/11/marshfi ... the-board/

I know its a typo but it's closer to the truth :!:

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Nov Fri 17, 2017 8:26 pm

"If feel that the duties of our Department of Public Works is just too great at this point in time, and the department should be managed or overseen and coordinated with a paid professional that’s in the building all the time,” Robbins explained."

Oh,yes a PAID professional hack would surely know all about the DPW. :roll:
How did the DPW ever manage all these years without one???

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Nov Fri 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Robbins and Galvin have been refining their talking points - but it's not working.

What Robbins is saying in these most recent public comments is absurd.

One of their talking points is that changing the charter will create the opportunity to employ highly paid professionals for a number of positions.

Good hack jobs at good hack wages.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Sat 18, 2017 9:26 am

If the Charter Review Committee is going full steam ahead with this. I have no problem getting rid of the Public Works board . But the problem I have is mixing tax payers money with rate payers money under the selectmen. I have been told that the proposal can be amended at town meeting . I suggest that what should be created is "Marshfield Water,Sewer,and Solid Waste Commission " This would be an elected board that run those three divisions as their revues come from rate payers. The highway and cemetery ,trees then could fall under the Selectmen as those to divisions are funded by property taxes. Put it blunt the water, sewer,and solid waste are a cash cow for the Selectmen. I don't want anyone mixing property taxes with rate payers money. I would glad to present it at town meeting .I need first to see what the committee proposal looks like to write the amendment.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Sat 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Isn't the paid professional in the building all the time the D.P.W. superintendent.
A strong town manager would just make things worse like the town administrator has under the leadership of then selectmen Steve Robbins and others.
Elimination of the D.P.W. board eliminates checks and balances. Eliminate the D.P.W. board and you can be certain Steve Robbins will get back in the selectmens position and take care of those are close to him and screw the rest of the town.
An additional 2 selectmen will not mean those in certain parts of town who feel neglected by town officials will change that neglect esp. if Steve Robbins resumes his position as selectmen.
Keep in mind that one of those two spots open for selectmen will more than likely be filled by Steve Robbins as well as someone that is like minded as Steve Robbins. Then you have to ask yourself......Did anything change?
In regards to Bobkat proposal. Does that mean we need to have special elections for each account as not everyone pays into each of those accounts with the possible exception to water?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Sat 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Eric K wrote:
Nov Sat 18, 2017 6:54 pm
Isn't the paid professional in the building all the time the D.P.W. superintendent.
A strong town manager would just make things worse like the town administrator has under the leadership of then selectmen Steve Robbins and others.
Elimination of the D.P.W. board eliminates checks and balances. Eliminate the D.P.W. board and you can be certain Steve Robbins will get back in the selectmens position and take care of those are close to him and screw the rest of the town.
An additional 2 selectmen will not mean those in certain parts of town who feel neglected by town officials will change that neglect esp. if Steve Robbins resumes his position as selectmen.
Keep in mind that one of those two spots open for selectmen will more than likely be filled by Steve Robbins as well as someone that is like minded as Steve Robbins. Then you have to ask yourself......Did anything change?
In regards to Bobkat proposal. Does that mean we need to have special elections for each account as not everyone pays into each of those accounts with the possible exception to water?
Eric K everyone pays into water also trash unless they show that a private company is picking up their trash. So it is still rate payers not property taxes .

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Sun 19, 2017 3:08 am

Not everyone is paying into trash and not everyone is paying into sewer. So, you would have to have separate boards with restricted voting as to those living in town who are paying into those funds.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Sun 19, 2017 8:39 am

Eric K wrote:
Nov Sun 19, 2017 3:08 am
Not everyone is paying into trash and not everyone is paying into sewer. So, you would have to have separate boards with restricted voting as to those living in town who are paying into those funds.
Eric K I said we need an elected Commission water, sewer and solid waste. That would be one commission with 3 divisions . Right now we have a DPW with 5 divisions. Two of the divisions rely on property tax money to operate. Three divisions that rely on rate payers to operate. I would want the 3 divisions the use rate payers money to be on their own. You do not need separate boards . You live in Marshfield and you are not on sewer . You get ca bill every 6 months an on that bill you have charges for water and trash. That money is put into two separate accounts.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Sun 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Bobkat,
What would be the role of the commission be?
For example: set rates, overseeing the accounts, decision makers of how money is spent.
In regards to two of the depts. relying on property taxes to operate. What would be your reason for those two depts. to fall under the board of selectmen?
Would anything be different as the board of selectmen currently approves the funding of those depts. just like b.o.s. approves funding for the school dept.?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Sun 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Eric K wrote:
Nov Sun 19, 2017 2:37 pm
Bobkat,
What would be the role of the commission be?
For example: set rates, overseeing the accounts, decision makers of how money is spent.
In regards to two of the depts. relying on property taxes to operate. What would be your reason for those two depts. to fall under the board of selectmen?
Would anything be different as the board of selectmen currently approves the funding of those depts. just like b.o.s. approves funding for the school dept.?
Eric K last start from your last statement. If you mean B.O.S as board of Selectmen does not approve funding for schools. Schools run by the school board, but all town funding is approved by town meeting. Except the water ,sewer,and solid waste. Since these divisions rely on rate payers .The rates are set as of now the DPW board. I don't how long you have lived but when Burke was the DWP Director .He was mixing tax payer money with rate payer money. That is not legal. I question it and our high an mighty town lawyer said you don't like sue me.

What would commission do . They would over see the Director , would approve rates set by the Director, and the commission would stop indirect charges against these 3 divisions. The rest of the town would have to live of monies raise through taxes. These 3 divisions would stop being a cash cow.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Mon 20, 2017 4:07 am

It is to my understanding that the fund for the school depts. circuit breaker account is held in the general fund and not by the school dept. That being said I do believe the B.O.S. does control the funding of the school dept. as well as D.P.W.
As what happens at town meeting as the town votes on funding for school dept. the same could be said for the D.P.W.
I cant say I was living here of the time of Supt. Burke but
I would have to agree with you on what he was doing.
The same could be said a week or two before fall town meeting this year at a D.P.W. meeting.
Supt. Tom Reynolds proposed buying equipment using enterprise account money in which the equipment had nothing to do with any of the enterprise accounts.
Elected Board member John Cusick had questioned Tom Reynolds on this and John Cusick felt that this was not legal. At town meeting the equipment was purchased through the town.
The only thing is do I blame Tom Reynolds as this may have been past practice and/or behind the scenes he may have been directed to do this. The one thing I can be sure of is if John Cusick was not elected to board and up to speed on how these accounts are to legally operate this would more than likely have been approved.
If the commission you would like to see is still in charge of D.P.W. superintendent then you might as well keep the the way it is currently set up.
Your way would mean that the town would have to create another superintendent to run the other two depts. That would be a waste of money.
Putting the D.P.W. under the control of a strong town manager would be a mistake.
If you leave it as is,.elect the right people and they do what they are legally required then those accounts should be free from pilfering.
Maybe what we need in town charter is a law that has penalties for boards/board members/staff that knowingly wrong the town that they be expelled from their positions as well as a fine. Something like the Open Netting Law but with teeth.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Mon 20, 2017 8:14 am

Eric K wrote:
Nov Mon 20, 2017 4:07 am
It is to my understanding that the fund for the school depts. circuit breaker account is held in the general fund and not by the school dept. That being said I do believe the B.O.S. does control the funding of the school dept. as well as D.P.W.
Eric K again you are wrong .The school dept and the DPW do not fall under the selectmen. Under the educating reform act schools are controlled by an elected school board. In Marshfield because of the charter the DPW is controlled by the DPW board. That is why the selectmen need to get rid of the DPW Board through an charter change. Then they (Selectmen) will take control. But you don't believe me because you think you are the smartest person in the room. Well just go to this link on the Town of Marshfield web site and it spells out the powers of the selectmen.

https://www.marshfield-ma.gov/selectmen-admin

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Mon 20, 2017 9:27 am

Bobkat,
Do you pick and choose what you read or how you want to read it?
I know who who oversees the school dept. and the D.P.W.
I was talking about funding of those depts.
I don't try to sound like I am the smartest guy in the room, but if I do then there is nothing I can do about it.
I just offer my thoughts and opinions.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Nov Mon 20, 2017 9:40 am

Notice how bobkat likes to use a certain expression when he criticizes others? You don't even have to fundamentally disagree with bobkat - or claim different facts. He'll find a way to interpret what you say to create a conflict.

Here's the phrase:
"But you don't believe me because you think you are the smartest person in the room."

I think that it is a form of the Hillary/Leftoid/Dembot psychological PROJECTION onto others of what HE is thinking about himself.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Mon 20, 2017 9:48 am

Eric K wrote:
Nov Mon 20, 2017 9:27 am
Bobkat,
Do you pick and choose what you read or how you want to read it?
I know who who oversees the school dept. and the D.P.W.
I was talking about funding of those depts.
I don't try to sound like I am the smartest guy in the room, but if I do then there is nothing I can do about it.
I just offer my thoughts and opinions.
Eric K Like I said before funding is done at town meeting. The General Fund is not controlled by the Board of Selectmen.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Mon 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I object strongly to Steve Robbins showing up at the CRC meeting last Thursday for his 15+ minutes of input when on Monday night at the DPW Board meeting he said he would have no comment on whether he was for or against dissolving the Board until he heard more from the CRC on what the language of the Article would be when it appears on the warrant for a vote in the Spring. He then took most of that time to talk about his frustration with the current Superintendent, Tom Reynolds, who of course was not in the room to rebut Robbins reasons.
I don't agree with Robbins at all when he says that the elected DPW Board can't really oversee the day to day operations because they are not paid but rather are unpaid volunteers with full time jobs, but he thinks the 3 or 5 member b.o.s. can oversee it, even though they are volunteers with full time jobs as well. A complete contradiction.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Tue 21, 2017 7:06 pm

So, is Steve Robbins saying he would like compensation for performing duties as a board member?
I believe they do get paid but it's not much compared to the time they put in if you break down time vs. current compensation.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Tue 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Bobkat,
You should watch the beginning of last week's C.R.C. meeting. Listen to Mr. Cornwell when he is talking about the budget.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Tue 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Well, I am glad to see Steve Robbins decided to share his opinion. I think it needs a response from another board member and may be someone from the D.P.W. as well at the next C.R.C. meeting.
I have a lot of clips to cut for show. See if I have time tomorrow.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Nov Wed 22, 2017 10:37 am

I have a lot of clips to cut for show. See if I have time tomorrow.
Yeah. Post them here. You know - on the off chance your there to make a difference. Hard to tell.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Wed 22, 2017 11:50 am

Good one. I got a good chuckle out.of that.

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:47 pm

You may not like that Robbins shared his opinion at the Charter meeting instead of at the BPW meeting but if the issues he stated are true then something has to change.
- No evaluation system for the Superintendent
- Collection of bills is millions behind
- Wasn't able to see the budget nor the budget was approved the board
- The GIS being down

The fact that the Superintendent isn't evaluated is the one that really gets me. That's management 101, if they can't do the basics, it's time for a change.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Wed 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Noel Harrison wrote:
Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:47 pm
- Collection of bills is millions behind
Noel Harrison who collects the bills for water ,trash and waste water. I believe the town has a separate department that does collections.

Noel Harrison wrote:
Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:47 pm

- No evaluation system for the Superintendent

The fact that the Superintendent isn't evaluated is the one that really gets me. That's management 101, if they can't do the basics, it's time for a change.
So if the system you think that the selectmen do is better .Then explain how Rocco Longo lasted so long here. Even Jim F states that Longo was in over his head. That tells me that Steve Robbins is not as good as he tells people that want to listen to his B.S.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Wed 22, 2017 7:31 pm

do any of you know for a fact that the DPW Superintendent is not evaluated? that was a question asked by Dr. Borstel at the CRC's last meeting, b/c Steve Robbins intimated that it was so.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Wed 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Am I reading Bobkats response correctly?
It looks like Bobkat has a different opinion than previously.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Wed 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Eric K wrote:
Nov Wed 22, 2017 10:23 pm
Am I reading Bobkats response correctly?
It looks like Bobkat has a different opinion than previously.
Eric K I guess you are reading it wrong . I don't care if the get rid of the Board of Public Works as long as the water, sewer and solid waste do not fall under the selectmen. I would like an elected commission where the stated divisions would fall under control of the commission.

Lifetime
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Lifetime » Nov Thu 23, 2017 10:34 am

As for the collection of the utility bills, it would appear the problem lies with the treasurer/ collector's office. For years now the treasurer/ collector, including just this fall (precinct 5 billings), has had severe problems getting the bills out on time and when they do get they out there is numerous problems with them. The town can not collect the money due without sending out the bills and sending them out correctly. A previous (short term)treasurer/collector who was let go by the Selectmen, told them that the software Marshfield is using is of poor quality and poor support from the provider and needed to be replaced at a great expense. He was soon gone.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Nov Thu 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Well then, that sheds a lot of light on the matter.
Lifetime, do you know when this was brought forth to the selectmen?