Does Kingston have a DPW?

Kingston, yes, Kingston topics.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
facebook ID: phil.shannon

Does Kingston have a DPW?

Post by Phil » Aug Wed 03, 2011 9:57 pm

And if yes, what is the problem?

I'm talking about the street that goes to the Commuter Rail station. The sidewalks have never been maintained and the crap has grown out of control to the point where the sidewalks aren't useable. And the other side of the street, the side without walks, there is an @ 50 foot area where the curb has been overgrown to the point where @ 2-3 feet of the street are missing.

My theory is they got some $ to build out this street for the train station and then forgot to maintain it. How else to explain a street that has never seen maintenence? I don't even think they bother plowing this street on most snow storms.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

ethan
Tourist
Tourist

Re: Does Kingston have a DPW?

Post by ethan » Aug Thu 04, 2011 10:45 am

Maybe there's disagreement between the Town and the Mass Bay Commuter Rail (MBCR) about who's responsibility it is to maintain that road.

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Aug Fri 05, 2011 7:27 am

There are several other businesses on that road. If they are counting on the MBCR then it will never get done. I'll post some pics here, maybe that will embarrass the town into action.

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin
facebook ID: 1381994333

Post by GoingCoastal » Aug Fri 05, 2011 11:07 am

From Kingston Streets, Trees and Parks:
Unfortunately, those two roads fall under the jurisdiction of MBCR, this department does not maintain, mow, or plow those streets. If you would like, you could forward any concerns to the MBCR.
Joe McDonald

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Aug Mon 15, 2011 6:30 am

Thanks GC, I will complain to MBCR

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Aug Sat 20, 2011 10:09 am

Now we know why the streets don't get plowed, the sidewalks have been overgrown by a forest, and even the street is getting narrower and narrower at one point. Kingston claims the MBCR maintains this, and here is the reply I got from MBCR when I complained:
I have reviewed your concern regarding the conditions of the property near Kingston station.

I appreciate that you brought this matter to my attention and I apologize for the frustration you have experienced. This information was shared with our Engineering Department manager for them to review. They have advised me that the area you stated would actually be the responsibility of the town and not the commuter rail. I am sorry for the frustration that this causes for you and I wish that I could offer a better result.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me with this issue.

Sincerely,

Linda Dillon

MBCR Customer Service Manager

ethan
Tourist
Tourist

Post by ethan » Aug Sat 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Hah! I guess correctly that there's a debate about to who's responsible. That's awesome. :roll:

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Aug Sat 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Since both sides are in the public sector, they are both avoiding taking any responsibility. Shocking, isn't it? =))

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin
facebook ID: 1381994333

Post by GoingCoastal » Aug Wed 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Phil wrote:Since both sides are in the public sector, they are both avoiding taking any responsibility. Shocking, isn't it? =))
I passed your MBCR note to the Kingston Streets, Trees and Parks.

No response yet.
Joe McDonald

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Aug Sat 27, 2011 9:47 am

I emailed them this week too. I'll give it another couple of days before I break out my chain saw and do their job for them.

It seems like it should be Kingston doing this. I mean I doubt the 5+ businesses on this road pay their property taxes to MBCR!!!

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Sep Mon 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Phil,what is with that commuter rail station?I had never been there before last week.I first was shocked as it looked like abandoned properties down some off the beaten path road!I mean you would think they would put it nearer the mall?Then the station itself wasn't looking that great?I was late in picking up a family member around 6pm after everyone had left and noticed two rather sketchy looking guys hanging there.One relieving himself out in the open by the sign!

Just wondering is that a safe place at night as it is a rather remote location?I have a daughter who will be coming out of Boston at night.

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Sep Mon 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Honestly, try to be there to pickup your daughter if you can. Cars get broken into all the time there. And there isn't even a sidewalk to get you to the mall. You have to walk up that road at exit 8 up the hill with zero sidewalk, to get to the mall. $4 a day to park gets you nothing, no security whatsoever. They don't plow the road leading to the lot in the winter storms. This whole area is an embarassment to Kingston and the MBTA/MBCR, and with even basic care and effort it wouldn't be this waY.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Sep Mon 05, 2011 5:28 pm

You know it was some cape traffic that held me up so I was running late.All the people had gotten in their cars and left.It was a sketchy looking place to begin with.I had seen all the greenbush line parking areas and they were nothing like Kingston!I would much rather her take the greenbush line but will have to see what fits with her schedule.I had usually been using the Braintree station which is a pain.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Sep Tue 06, 2011 1:41 pm

I can't believe they don't plow that road going in?There are businesses on that road so how do they get into there?That's incredible.Do they plow the parking lot?How are you supposed to get in there if you don't have a SUV or truck?

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Phil » Sep Tue 06, 2011 10:54 pm

They do plow the Kingston lot, actually are pretty on top of it too! I drive 4WD so it doesn't matter to me that the street doesn't get plowed. But on weekdays so many cars go up there it gets broken down that way. But you know how that goes, it always turns into sort of pot holes of ice as the snow gets crushed down, so the ride gets bumpy on that street.
Quincy Adams is easier to get in and out of than Braintree most of the time, but sometimes that street in front of QA gets backed up badly too, with traffic.

I was thinking of just bringing my chainsaw down there and going to town on the sidewalk but then I realized it would take hours to clear that out and I'm not that motivated to do it myself. Maybe I can shame them into it. Here is a picture I named "Sidewalk LOL". If you want to use this sidewalk you will need a machete.
SidewalkLOL1.jpg
SidewalkLOL1.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
p.s. I had to make this image about 90% smaller than original to comply with the less than 600x800 size limit :(