Zoning board approves Modera

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Zoning board approves Modera

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Thu 26, 2017 10:33 am

The ZBA voted unanimously to approve a comprehensive permit for the 248-unit project, called Modera Marshfield.
Initial plans were for 270 units and four-story buildings. In the finalized plans, the project is 248 units and the buildings are three stories. The developers will also pay $83,000 for a traffic study and improvements in the area.

http://959watd.com/blog/2017/10/marshfi ... mmerce-way

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Zoning board approves Modera

Post by Noel Harrison » Oct Thu 26, 2017 10:56 am

Not surprised one bit, this is what we deserve for not being a little more business friendly as a town. Land that should used for business is going to be 40B's. Until the anti business culture changes, Enterprise Park is going to be full of them.... and pot shops :razz:

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Thu 26, 2017 11:54 am

Noel Harrison wrote:
Oct Thu 26, 2017 10:56 am
Not surprised one bit, this is what we deserve for not being a little more business friendly as a town. Land that should used for business is going to be 40B's. Until the anti business culture changes, Enterprise Park is going to be full of them.... and pot shops :razz:
Noel Harrison you are so wrong . This town is business friendly . Please tell what business has been turned away from this town . Just to let you know that area of town was approved for Pud Development. I take it you have no idea what I am talking about .So here is the definition for PUD.

A planned unit development (PUD), is a type of building development and also a regulatory process. As a building development, it is a designed grouping of both varied and compatible land uses, such as housing, recreation, commercial centers, and industrial parks, all within one contained development or subdivision.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Thu 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Business friendly is absolutely what this town is.
Town owned parking from Famous Pizza down to fruit market ( with the exception in front of Sweet Frog to Station 8 that is part of Oceans Gate Property ) that no business has to pay any fees for. An outside seating area for a restaurant at the corner 139 and Webster on town owned sidewalk that no rent is collected on for use of space.
Mr. Harrison, go read purchase and sales agreement in regards to Modera project. It's all about the money.
It's not a done deal yet. It still needs a perc test by state. To my understanding the make up of the soil up there could be an issue.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Thu 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Eric, of course it's all about the money, that's what a purchase and sales agreement is! how can you second guess a p&s that was executed by one of the most prestigious law firms in the city of Boston?
The ZBA's hands are tied when it comes to these types of decisions. The State rules. You have to accept that.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Fri 27, 2017 3:30 am

There you go Mr. Harrison,
A full blown insider agreeing with me.
There could have been business offers on that property but it would not bring in the money like a massive development would.
I believe that is why the town brought the ridiculous zoning for rec. marijuana as it might cause problems with the housing development in town esp. If it was just zoned for the PMUD.

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Oct Fri 27, 2017 11:14 am

Hahaha, I'm far from a full blown insider. Just a business person who has clients who have looked at Marshfield as a potential home and then said no way.

Marshfield may be friendly to mom and pop shops and restaurants but not to companies that might actually have 30 or more highly skilled professionals. I was working on the West Coast at the time but I remember an associate telling me how the town ran Boston Whaler out of town when they were interested. I also had a client who was looking at Marshfield as a 2nd location and after hearing horror stories from a service provider of their's who is located in Marshfield they went elsewhere.

While it's great 139 is expanded and we have a traffic light by Enterprise Park but no sewer, not many businesses are going to want to go there with the added cost of septic.

If we were so business friendly why is our commercial tax base so low and in order to keep the funds coming in to meet demand we have to have 40B's.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Fri 27, 2017 11:39 am

I guess I really need to be more clearer on my postings.
I was talking about seahag as the insider.
Well, as of the moment and to what I see I think business gets more than a fair shake in this town. I would be more than happy to hear what issues you have come across in why business has a problem setting up shop here.
Laws, taxes, leadership.
As for the sewer issue. I am opposed to it as I believe the entire town would be vulnerable to a massive build out.
Though if the state approves the septic systems ( main and back-up ) for Modera and they both fail over time then a sewer line will more than likely happen.
I am missing you on "why is commercial tax base is so low". Isn't that what business wants?

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Fri 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Enterprise Park is going to be full of them.... and pot shops
Why did this development go immediately to 40B? Was the developer turned down for a conventional apartment project? Is town government just trying to cram in as many low cost units into a certain area as possible? I guess that would make sense from a Dem party standpoint.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Fri 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Low cost units?? what are you talking about. the base 1 bedroom unit at Modera is $2,000+ a month.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Fri 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Low cost units?? what are you talking about. the base 1 bedroom unit at Modera is $2,000+ a month.
Oh really? Then how can it be a 40B??

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Fri 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Remember, 40b is also designed ( not just affordable units ) to override your zoning laws. It's a developers dream come true law. Cram as much living units into one area and make a fortune at the expense of the town.
Of course, the genius idea of expanding 139 did not help out either where it can handle more traffic flow.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sat 28, 2017 4:39 pm

omg, too bad the town didn't hire you Eric to be the town planner, building commissioner, ZBA member, planning board member, conservation commissioner, selectman, town administrator, DPW commissioner and whatever else - b/c you are such a genius who knows everything!

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Sat 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks seahag, I accept your compliment.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sat 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Eric K wrote:
Oct Fri 27, 2017 9:07 pm
Remember, 40b is also designed ( not just affordable units ) to override your zoning laws. It's a developers dream come true law. Cram as much living units into one area and make a fortune at the expense of the town.
Of course, the genius idea of expanding 139 did not help out either where it can handle more traffic flow.
Eric K where do you come up with this crap. 40b is also know as the anti snob rule.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sat 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Fri 27, 2017 4:25 pm
Enterprise Park is going to be full of them.... and pot shops
Why did this development go immediately to 40B? Was the developer turned down for a conventional apartment project? Is town government just trying to cram in as many low cost units into a certain area as possible? I guess that would make sense from a Dem party standpoint.
Vlad_Rap so are you saying all these developers Democrats. You ask why did this developer go 40b. Well did you ever think that this town has not meet the % of house to be affordable. Why don't you google and learn which towns can turn down 40b's because they are at there limit. Do you know how many 40b's are there in Marshfield and how many have age restrictions on them . Why don't you do a little homework before you speak.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sat 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Eric K and Vlad_Rap please point to one 40b project that has been built in Marshfield that has been a drain on the town.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Oct Sun 29, 2017 7:25 am

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodic ... ight2.html

As a bright guy your self you can extrapolate conclusions, it comes with risks
Good Dog

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Sun 29, 2017 8:08 am

Bobcat, yes I know what the other name for 40b is.
How do you know we have not met the % for affordable housing?
We have not had a mapping to see if we meet the 1.5% land requirement dedicated to affordable housing. Years ago I went to planning board to see if they would do this and they were reluctant to do it. I wonder why myself.
It's not just the 10% of your total housing stock.
Bobcat, before I get into other developments that may be a drain on the town are you saying the Modera project is not going to cost the town a dime?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 8:12 am

JIMD wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 7:25 am
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodic ... ight2.html

As a bright guy your self you can extrapolate conclusions, it comes with risks
JIMD I read the article that your link took me too. My I say your a JACKASS. You don't know the difference between low income housing and 40b affordable.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 8:17 am

Eric K wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 8:08 am
Bobcat, yes I know what the other name for 40b is.
How do you know we have not met the % for affordable housing?
We have not had a mapping to see if we meet the 1.5% land requirement dedicated to affordable housing. Years ago I went to planning board to see if they would do this and they were reluctant to do it. I wonder why myself.
It's not just the 10% of your total housing stock.
Bobcat, before I get into other developments that may be a drain on the town are you saying the Modera project is not going to cost the town a dime?
Eric K I ask you to tell me which 40b in Marshfield been a drain on the town . I didn't answer. Most of the 40b's in Marshfield are age restricted . To answer your question of the Modera project costing the town a dime. No I believe the town will get more money back from this project.

There are 351 towns and cities in Massachusetts. Right now 44 communities have met the 10% threshold. These communities can refuse 40b in their towns. We should be pro housing and meet the threshold .

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Seahag wrote...
So here we have a very large condo project that takes advantage of much less stringent zoning code under 40b yet, if we can believe Seahag, does not carry the same mandatory 20% low cost provision.

Bobkat wrote...
You ask why did this developer go 40b. Well did you ever think that this town has not meet the % of house to be affordable.
A developer's main concern is to make money - not to help the town meet its low cost housing quotient. Legally he is under no compulsion to do that. Normally he would initially apply for a conventional permit under chapter 40A to get around the 20% low cost provision. Only when he is denied a permit will he go 40B. That is, of course, unless he was offered some special kind of deal. Going by the information presented here it is not at all unreasonable to think that is what happened. So naturally my next question would be what was the special deal and how does it benefit the town as a whole?
Why don't you google and learn which towns can turn down 40b's because they are at there limit. Do you know how many 40b's are there in Marshfield and how many have age restrictions on them . Why don't you do a little homework before you speak.
Gees but your just chock full of things other people should do. I'll pass on your advice and throw out some in return. Why don't you learn what a valid argument is?
Eric K and Vlad_Rap please point to one 40b project that has been built in Marshfield that has been a drain on the town.
Gees - How many projects of this size do you think it would take? Why hasn't it happened already? Just thank the wisdom and foresight of town residents who voted at TM to stop town sewerage where it did, back around the year 2000, rather than run it all the way up 139 to Pembroke.
There are 351 towns and cities in Massachusetts. Right now 44 communities have met the 10% threshold. These communities can refuse 40b in their towns. We should be pro housing and meet the threshold .
Says who? We'd be far better off if townspeople voted their own interests and ignored all the stuff the swamp donkeys say we should do.
Vlad_Rap so are you saying all these developers Democrats
Nah. But all will do and say what they have to in order to do business in a state like Massachusetts.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:29 am

40b is low cost housing and with it will bring crime risks
Good Dog

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Sun 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Bobcat,
When asked how much tax revenue would be brought in from this development no one had an answer.
You could be right about town getting more money than spent. But, overtime I believe it will be a wash.
In the end it will be us who will be paying the price.
Just keep in mind bobcat, I am not opposed to affordable housing. I am opposed to the law that lets developers thumb their noses at a town and being able to do pretty much whatever they want. This project is way to big and dense.
Why should we the taxpayer have to pay for road improvements ( and anything else tied to this project ) for a developer that is going to make a fortune on this project

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Bobkat wrote...
You ask why did this developer go 40b. Well did you ever think that this town has not meet the % of house to be affordable.
Only when he is denied a permit will he go 40B.
Vlad_Rap how long have you lived in Marshfield? Just to let you know we have had a ban on apartments and condos for at least 30 years. So the only why to build in Marshfield apartments or condos is by using 40b. You just don't know what you are talking about.
Gees - How many projects of this size do you think it would take? Why hasn't it happened already? Just thank the wisdom and foresight of town residents who voted at TM to stop town sewerage where it did, back around the year 2000, rather than run it all the way up 139 to Pembroke.
Again you show that you know nothing. You do know where Ocean Shores is?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 12:57 pm

JIMD wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:29 am
40b is low cost housing and with it will bring crime risks

JIMD the words are low income not low cost. 40b is 80% of median income . You been playing with your dog to long

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Sun 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Only you could manage to produce an encyclopedia full of disparate facts and still be wrong.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 1:07 pm
Only you could manage to produce an encyclopedia full of disparate facts and still be wrong.
Vlad_Rap no you are the one that is wrong

http://www.oceanshoresbc.com

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sun 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Marshfield is not anywhere near its limit on affordable housing. Not even close. This project, however, will take us pretty near the goal set by the State. Then there is a 2 year moratorium on how much more affordable housing can be built.
Affordable housing is not low cost. The guidelines are 80% of median income level for the town. It comes in at about $60,000 for a single person maybe even more $$$$$.
Why do you who object to this project not want it? Hingham has these apartment complexes, Scituate has them, Cohasset has them, Duxbury maybe not I don't know. There has to be the land to build them on. There is very little land left in our town for this purpose. The people who will populate these high cost rental apartments will be mostly commuting to Boston and will have high paying jobs. They need housing. Lots of new business coming into the City, esp. at the Seaport. Come on.
You cannot always be against development. We are not a one-horse town any more.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Seahag wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 5:11 pm
Marshfield is not anywhere near its limit on affordable housing. Not even close. This project, however, will take us pretty near the goal set by the State. Then there is a 2 year moratorium on how much more affordable housing can be built.
Affordable housing is not low cost. The guidelines are 80% of median income level for the town. It comes in at about $60,000 for a single person maybe even more $$$$$.
Why do you who object to this project not want it? Hingham has these apartment complexes, Scituate has them, Cohasset has them, Duxbury maybe not I don't know. There has to be the land to build them on. There is very little land left in our town for this purpose. The people who will populate these high cost rental apartments will be mostly commuting to Boston and will have high paying jobs. They need housing. Lots of new business coming into the City, esp. at the Seaport. Come on.
You cannot always be against development. We are not a one-horse town any more.
Seahag I think the moratorium is not against affordable housing but against age restriction . Most of the 40b's built in Marshfield has been 55 years old or greater. Also most 40b's life is about 20 to 30 years. So in Marshfield in approving 40b's the town has made the developer agree that the project will be for life.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Sun 29, 2017 5:41 pm

This project, however, will take us pretty near the goal set by the State.
Explain how getting closer to the "goal" set by the state will benefit existing residents of the state. The state could not care less about you or me unless your a brain dead moonbat voting out of habit or maybe an illegal alien. The state loves easy votes and mindless voters

Why should we give a flying **** about what Mikey Moresco and the "State" wants????

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Sun 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 5:41 pm
This project, however, will take us pretty near the goal set by the State.
Explain how getting closer to the "goal" set by the state will benefit existing residents of the state. The state could not care less about you or me unless your a brain dead moonbat voting out of habit or maybe an illegal alien. The state loves easy votes and mindless voters

Why should we give a flying **** about what Mikey Moresco and the "State" wants????
Vlad_Rap if you have so much displeasure in Marshfield . Maybe it's time for you to move to a community where you will fit in. I think Mississippi or Alabama would be great places for you.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Sun 29, 2017 7:16 pm

I can't believe I am saying this but seahag is correct. There is some kind of restriction on how many 40b developments can happen in a town within a certain amount of time.
If someone has an issue what is happening in the town they live in the answer is not to move.
You need to stand up and be heard.
It's easy to move, doesn't mean the problem won't follow you at some point.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Mon 30, 2017 9:59 am

Seahag wrote
Affordable housing is not low cost.
No. That is why 40B will never accomplish what it set out to do. $2,000 pr month is alot of money for a one bedroom apartment. 40B was always intended to aid developers.

Do you know why most towns do not reach their 10% quota? Its because, like me, most people do not like 40Bs forced upon them. I don't think most towns have as close ties to state level swamp donkeys as does our elected/appointed officials in this town. If Marshfield really wanted to reach its quota it should build its own small, unimposing, 40Bs, on its own land, voted upon at T.M.

bobkat wrote
No , I don't. But I do know how to make potato soup and that apples are on sale at Shaw's.
Vlad_Rap if you have so much displeasure in Marshfield . Maybe it's time for you to move to a community where you will fit in. I think Mississippi or Alabama would be great places for you.
More addle brained thinking. It is obvious I like it here more than you. Its you and your swamp donkey friends who want to change Marshfield. Are you are also in it for the money? That would help explain the wacky arguments and irrelevant off the wall statements.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Mon 30, 2017 11:33 am

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Vlad_Rap the vote about expanding the sewer line was to bring it to the high school not run it up 139 to Pembroke . More false information by you.

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Mon 30, 2017 9:59 am

bobkat wrote
No , I don't. But I do know how to make potato soup and that apples are on sale at Shaw's.

of course you don't because you really haven't lived in Marshfield that long. So I guess I will have to tell you . Ocean Shores sits on the old drive inn. I remember all the people like you complain about the bad things that were going to happen when this was built. Guess what they were all wrong just like you.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Mon 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Vlad_Rap the vote about expanding the sewer line was to bring it to the high school not run it up 139 to Pembroke . More false information by you.
Wrong. The decision to stop the sewer at the high school was made by officials because they knew they would get their clock cleaned at TM if they tried to get it to Pembroke - like they wanted. The 2000 vote, which finally passed, was the 2nd or 3rd attempt at passing sewer expansion. It was a compromise. Ask Fitzgerald.
of course you don't because you really haven't lived in Marshfield that long.
Like living in one place for 67 years is some sort of badge of honor. I always saw it as a mammas basement sort of thing. Afraid to get out and experience the world. It might have done you some good.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Mon 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Oct Mon 30, 2017 3:52 pm
Wrong. The decision to stop the sewer at the high school was made by officials because they knew they would get their clock cleaned at TM if they tried to get it to Pembroke - like they wanted. The 2000 vote, which finally passed, was the 2nd or 3rd attempt at passing sewer expansion. It was a compromise. Ask Fitzgerald.
of course you don't because you really haven't lived in Marshfield that long.
Like living in one place for 67 years is some sort of badge of honor. I always saw it as a mammas basement sort of thing. Afraid to get out and experience the world. It might have done you some good.

Vlad_Rap you are a moron the sewer line never went to the high school .It stop on Moraine St . As for living in one place for 67 years ,yes I am proud of this town and how it has turn out growing over the years. But few times I was not in Marshfield , Like standing on the line semper fidelis or so the moron you are I will just say temper fi or college or teaching in Bervard County Fl. Hoping next I will reach for the last continent making it 7 in all. But I guess I haven't seen the world. I just wish I had you in my platoon you would be crying for your mummy.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Mon 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Vlad_Rap you are a moron the sewer line never went to the high school .It stop on Moraine St .
You are right about that now that i think about it- not that it matters. And no one is can be wrong all of the time. The important thing is the project never went to Pembroke, even though that is what was first proposed. The expansion was a compromise voted on at 2 or 3 T.M.s. and finally passed at 2000 TM. And YOU were the one who first said the vote was for going to to H.S.!! Don't you read your own posts?
The rest of your post is undecipherable. The dyslexia really kicks in when your pissed huh? Or is it early onset?

You should get out more. Maybe go all out and take a drive to Duxbury. You still driving?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Mon 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Vlad_Rap you prove your an idiot . I said the sewer project that was brought to town meeting was for a pressurized line from the High school to the center of town. The water flow was greater than allowed for the High school septic system. So the state said it need to be resolved . The School Committee was the ones who brought forward Sewer 2000. The cheapest way was for a pressurized line. Then to cover cost the School Committee wanted all homes that the line passed in front to hook up. I got an spoke against it. Because the cost of putting pumps in all the homes was to high and if a pump failed .That home could not used the waste system. So a treatment plant was built at the school next to the tennis courts. Did you go to school here or even when did you move here. You are full of so much mis- information.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Tue 31, 2017 8:37 am

For starters Bobkat can you tone it down on the name calling. It's sounds your an angry old man all the time.
Funny how you say that about pumps for homes if they were tied into sewer line as I just saw a financial statement for a place and had to pay almost $6000.00 for a new one with installation. So, when you start wishing for a sewerage line just think of the expenses that come with it over time.